Before I start this, I want you to understand how sincere and humble I am in asking for help from the people who read and enjoy this blog. I get it, I understand that it’s super easy to just enjoy the nonsense I write and feature here without much thought, but I also want you to recognize that I appreciate how important you’ve made me feel in this community, which is part of the reason this is a particularly difficult thing for me to do.
But it comes down to this: as Worlds is almost definitely going to be in France, there’s no way I’ll be able to cover it unless I get some help.
Point in fact, dear readers, I couldn’t make it to Worlds in Florida without the generous help of Urban Velo, who helped cover my costs as their acting reporter on the scene. In exchange for their help, I wrote up an article about the event and Worlds as a whole.
If number of visits is any indication, you folks enjoyed the work I did, and I enjoyed doing it–I’d like to continue to cover Worlds in that same way, if at all possible.
That being said, I can’t do it by myself. A mix of general underemployment, a mortgage, loan payments and medical bills from my heart adventure knock out my budget every month (point in fact I’m currently -25.00 in my banking account, and have been since last Friday).
And so I’m calling on you, dear readers and polokins, for some help.
If you enjoyed my coverage of Worlds in the past and would like to continue to see it in the future, I’ll need you (polo players, equipment makers, sponsors, whatever) to throw me some clams.
Here are the ground rules I’m playing by:
- Any money collected will be held for use in travelling and not dying of hunger/exposure while in France
- You (donating people) are my customer, and I’ll strive to provide you with the best reporting/Gonzo Polo-ism as possible. including player interviews, overall coverage, and day-in-the-life experiences.
- Anything over the amount I need (this won’t happen, I know it) will be used for operating this site or for contests in the future.
- If I don’t make enough to go, I’ll use the money collected for contests/operation of the site.
- Polo-product companies: giving me money for this doesn’t equal biased reviews, but it does mean we’ll talk about an equal exchange for paid advertising on the site/I’ll mention the hell out of you in my write up as a sponsor. For real.
To be perfectly honest with you, I’m ashamed that I even need to try this. I’d like to travel around without asking you for anything at all, but to put it simply, I can’t make this trip without you guys sending me there.
If you like what I do and want that same kind of coverage for Worlds 2014, consider donating what you can to the expenses associated with travelling to Worlds for your humble polo reporter. If you can’t and I don’t find a way to get to Worlds, don’t think I’ll shutter up the site and hate all of you. I get that we all have expenses, I just thought I’d give this a try.
Bike polo is one of the greatest communities I’ve been a part of, and the amount of kindness and acceptance you’ve shown me over the past three years is astounding. It’s part of the reason that I’ve written hundreds of articles and spent hundreds of dollars on this site. It’s great to be part of such a cool group of people. If anyone can help me pull off getting to France despite not having the savings to do so, it’d be polo players.
If you can donate, Thank You! Below you’ll find a donate button to PayPal. If you don’t do the Paypal thing, write me an email and we can figure something out.
If you can’t donate, consider sharing this post around the polo-sphere. Any help is good help.
Thanks either way, and let me know if you have any questions or whatever via email (mlkabik(at)gmail.com)